Friday, June 3, 2011

To change a cv joint on a 96 Grand Am,do I have to take both sides apart?

I got everything but the inner cv joint out but I can%26#039;t get it off.The book says all I gotta do is pry on it.and looking at the new part ain%26#039;t helping either.I have taken the driver side apart but the everything is still connected on the passenger side.Am I doing something wrong?|||you are doing it right. i have changed many of them they just come out really hard sometimes.p.s. make sure you change the inner seal that is pressed into the tranny also.they are less than 15.00.|||No and don%26#039;t remove the axle your not replacing! You may need to lever it out or use a slide hammer, but it should pop out from the transaxle. Another answerer may confirm this. Also follow the shop manual removal and installation procedure.|||Push it in...Pull!


Push it in...Pull!


Push it in...Pull!





Sometimes a film of crud builds up on the shaft on the back side of the bearing inside the tranny.