Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What is causing the vibration on my front passenger tire during braking to a stop and at speeds around 70 Mph?

There was also a high pitched clicking sound at 70 mph that was resolved by changing the strut. Also, when I am driving at speeds lower than 10 mph I sometimes get a %26quot;KLONK%26quot; sound when turning. Due to the %26quot;klonk%26quot; sound I changed to CV joint, but the problem still remains. I took it to two mechanics, but the problem is still there... I'm to the point that I'm just letting it get worse so that it will be easier to diagnose. I'm just worried that something may fail when I have my 2 year old son with me :( I suspect that it is something to do with the suspension or steering...
What is causing the vibration on my front passenger tire during braking to a stop and at speeds around 70 Mph?
Check inner and outer tie rods and, upper and lower ball joints. The clunk makes me guess an upper ball joint is worn. It seems to me the mechanics should have been able to figure this out out. You might want to ask around for a reputable mechanic.
What is causing the vibration on my front passenger tire during braking to a stop and at speeds around 70 Mph?
The %26quot;Clonk%26quot; sound when turning is the critical clue here. The Ball joints are worn out. Not a job for the faint hearted or a dubious mechanic, as it leads to much cursing and tool throwing. The ball joints are located above and below the CV joint and are Pressed in and out with hydraulic tools(If done properly). The Mechanics who looked at this should have checked this first. There is a very simple test to figure this out. With your car on a level surface, Stand beside the front end and give it a hard shove to the side. You should hear the %26quot;Clonk%26quot; when you do this. Take the car to a decent front end shop, suspension shop, or to the stealership. Yes they will all rob you blind but piece of mind is a valuable thing. A certified mechanic with good liability coverage is well worth the overinflated price.
Check your wheel bearings. This could cause all that you have described.
Control arm bushings are a good place to start.